Women, basic black is a wonderful start to your business wardrobe. Once you buy basic black pants, skirts and jackets, it simplifies your wardrobe. It does not require much thought to grab something from your wardrobe in the morning, and no one knows for sure if you are wearing the same items over and over again.
But when you want a bit of a lift, and want to avoid looking like you are headed to a funeral, you'll want to break up the monotony and add a spark of color to cheer you up.
Here are 7 ways to liven up your basic black professional wardrobe.
1. Add the panache of metallics, which are so big right now. Loop a chunky gold or silver chain around your neck, or slip a large bangle on your wrist.
2. Throw an animal print scarf around your neck, or buckle an animal-print belt around your waist.
3. Add a pop of color with a red or yellow patent handbag, or a patent belt.
4. Add a bit of texture, like a nubby wool sweater, or a great tweed jacket, to your basic black dress or sweater and pants.
5. Wear your favorite color shirt or sweater with your black jacket. A splash of red or pink under your jacket does wonders to liven up your complexion and make you glow.
6. Wear a choker of pearls or colored beads to add interest to a low neckline. Play with the color and design of chucky jewelry to add a unique accent to your outfit.
7. Test a color you would not normally wear, in a small dose. Taxi yellow or lime green are fun to wear in limited doses.