Spending a lot on clothes or wearing designer labels does not guarantee that you will look chic; nor does having a large wardrobe guarantee it either. How good you look depends largely on what you choose to wear and how well it suits you. It may be the latest fad and look great on the department store model but not do anything for you. This is why it is important to know your body shape, the styles that accentuate it and how to create a fabulous look without spending a fortune.
1. Start your clothes shopping like you would shop for groceries – with a list. Take inventory of what you have in your closet and what new items will expand your wardrobe. Whatever you buy should match at least 3 other wardrobe pieces.
2. To get more for less, buy timeless basics and stay away from fads. For example, a skirt with layers of frills may be in style this season but be totally wrong for any season after. It will end up sitting in your closet and be on your "bad purchase" list.
3. If you are starting a working wardrobe and want to get a jump-start, try making black a basic color. It will be easy to coordinate with other items and always looks great.
4. Try on everything before you buy and make sure it feels comfortable. If it rides up, itches, is too tight or can only be worn on special occasions then it is not a good purchase.
5. Do not buy items that are 50 – 70% off if it is not something that you would want to buy at regular price. It is not a great deal if it does not fit with your existing wardrobe. It will end up at the back of your closet.
6. Shop for what you need keeping quality in mind. Before buying take into consideration washing instructions. If you have to spend a lot on dry cleaning then your bargain is no longer a bargain. If you are afraid to wash it maybe it's best left in the store and if it has cheap workmanship do not buy it. Look for high quality at a lower price at the end of the season.
7. To create a stunning image consideration must be paid to groom such as hair, skin, teeth and makeup. The best outfit in the world will look horrible if the woman does not have good grooming habits.
© Copyright Sheila Dicks 2005