Weddings are generally a stressful time for both the bride and the groom. However, they can also be very stressful for a maid of honor who is planning her speech at the wedding. Tradition calls for the maid of honor to give a speech at the wedding reception. And even for a maid of honor who has given numerous speeches in her lifetime, it can still be a very stressful time. Like many speakers, the maid of honor is often left wondering what to say, that will make the day an even more special. Here are five tips that will help any maid of honor plan out her wedding speech.
1. Traditionally speaking, the maid of honor gives her speech after the best man. Therefore, it is important to keep in mind that the guests have already sat through one speech. Try and keep the speech short and to the point. Keeping the speech short and brief will allow other speakers the opportunity to speak, as well as hold the guests attention. If the speech becomes too long and winded, the guests will often lose interest in the speech.
2. No matter what type of wedding the bride and groom are having, make the speech one from the heart. Probably one of the most important aspects of any speech is to just be yourself. If you are naturally a serious person, incorporated that into speech. Likewise, if you are not naturally a comic, then do not attempt to make your speech a funny one. By doing so, you will only make the speech seemed forced and unnatural. If you are giving the speech in a church, be sure to make the speech appropriate, with some correlation to the religion.
3. Although you will want to make the speech a personal one, try and keep it from getting too personal. Ask family and friends for stories that you could share with the guests. But keep in mind not to tell stories that will embarrass the couple or their guests. Avoid topics such as politics and sex.
4. Begin by writing a first draft of the wedding speech. After you have completed a first draft, read it to a fellow friend or family member. Ask that they give you an honest opinion of your speech. It will be easier to hear criticism of the speech before it is read in front of the entire wedding party.
5. On the day of the wedding, bring a set of note cards with your speech printed out on it. If you have the speech laid out in front of you it will help you to remember the entire speech. Do not rely on your memory of how the speech should go. The note cards will help keep you from stumbling and babbling during your maid of honor wedding speech.
Giving a maid of honor wedding speech does not have to be a stressful event. So the next time you are called to give a maid of honor speech, keep the above five tips in mind and your speech will run very smoothly.