Let's face it, shopping for plus size is not an easy task, and many times not that fun. Living in a size 0 world even though the average size is 12-14 does not leave as many options as we would like. Here are some tips for shopping that will make clothing an investment rather than a trend and you can use them at any store.
1. Anything neutral. Soft taupe and nude are ideal for layering, which means plus size friendly! Look for cinched waists also. When you can pull in you create curves which will flatter you, just be sure that that the top is long enough to hit mid thigh.
2. A simple cardigan in a rich bold color. Think berry, persimmon, yellow or orange. Head to toe black hides you. Be bold and add a great cardigan and make your outfit pop out!
3. A full skirt. Look for ones with minimal pleating that begin at your lower thigh. Paired with a fabulous pair of shoes (chunky boots work great) and you will gain height which will elongate you and make you simply stunning.
4. Silky tops. They look fabulous un-tucked and are super flattering due to the drapiness and ease of the fabric. Think silk crew-necks and cowl necks. They will go with everything from jeans to A-line skirts.
5. Brown accessories. For the last several years, okay, lifetime, black has been the go-to item. Change it up, put your black carefully on the shelf and go for brown. The change softens your appearance, goes great with the neutrals and helps you stand out a little.
Remember, dressing for plus size is just a little different. We can look sexy, fabulous and put together just as well as a size 0.